RefWorks is a service available to AFIT students and faculty that allows users to collect, organize and format citations for their thesis, dissertation, or any other research project. The service is web-based and may be accessed on or off-campus. This hour-long session will introduce users to RefWorks and provide hands-on demonstrations on gathering citations, organizing them and inserting them into a thesis or research paper.
Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014: RefWorks Class - 1100-1200
Thursday, Sep 11, 2014: RefWorks Class - 1000-1100
Thursday, Sep 25, 2014: RefWorks Class - 1400-1500
Thursday, Oct 9, 2014: RefWorks Class - 1400-1500
Thursday, Oct 23, 2014: RefWorks Class - 1000-1100
Alumni of AFIT will now have access to RefWorks for the duration of the university's subscription to the software.
If you are a first time user of RefWorks, you will need the library Group Code for off-campus access. You will receive an e-mail message with the Group Code after you create a login. Please save this Group Code for future reference.
If you are an existing user and have forgotten the Group Code, please contact The D'Azzo Research Library at 937-255-6565 x4207 or by e-mail.
RefWorks is a web-based bibliographic software package that enables you to:
- Organize your research
- Create a bibliography in different document formats (Word, RTF, HTML, etc.) and a variety of citation styles, including APA, MLA and Chicago
- Import references from many data sources
- Use Write-N-Cite to include citations while you write your paper
- Store and access saved documents and presentations from anywhere
- Being web-based means no software to download and update, and you can access your personal account from any computer connected to the internet.
RefWorks allows you to quickly export citations from many databases. Visit the RefWorks Help Page for help with downloading from major publishers. Below are some tips for downloading from our students' most requested databases:
- The D'Azzo Research Library Catalog
1.) Open the record of the item you wish to export to RefWorks.
2.) Click the RefWorks logo on the left hand side of the page.
3.) If prompted, log in to Refworks. Your citation will appear in the "Last Imported" folder.
**Please note that on .mil computers, the firewall will block the RefWorks export option. Currently the only workaround is to save your citation from a home computer or use one of the .dmz computers in the library.
- OhioLINK central Catalog
1. Log into RefWorks.
2. Select Search from the top menu.
3. Select search Online Catalog or Database
4. Select OhioLINK
5. Set your maximum results.
6. Enter your title or keywords in the quick search text box.
7. References will download. Select which ones you want to directly import.
- Science Citation Index (Web of Knowledge)
NOTE: You must turn off the pop-up blocker to use this function.
1. Conduct your search and check the items you want to export.
2. From the "Send to" drop down at the top of the page, select RefWorks.
3. Choose the information you want to export from the drop down options and click send.
4. Log into RefWorks when prompted. Your items should appear in the Last Imported folder.